Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot tubs and magnesium

Posted by lisa s 
lisa s
Hot tubs and magnesium
January 06, 2011 09:50AM
Just as everyone else here is, I'm trying to get as much magnesium into my cells as I can. There is only so much I can take orally, so that leaves other methods to consider. One obvious way is to take epsom salt baths. I would imagine that daily baths would be better than only once in a while. One problem with this is that is I am on a well and septic system. Pumping that much water and salts into the system can't be good.

Does anyone here have experience with using epsom salts in their hot tub? Can it be done safely, or is it too corrosive? Are there any other forms of magnesium that can be added instead? My husband and I use the hot tub about 5 times a week in all but the warmest weather, so it would be lovely to know that I'm doing more than just relaxing.

Thanks,

lisa

RalphL
Re: Hot tubs and magnesium
January 06, 2011 02:30PM
Hi Lisa,
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all take a daily soak in the Dead Sea, which gets the majority of its "salts" from magnesium chloride? I believe that MgCl2 is better for a tub soak than epsom salts, (magnesium sulfate MgSO4). Since I live near the ocean, I'm wondering if soaking in the summer would get my Mg up, as Mg is one of the more abundant minerals in sea water? I found a website that sells Dead Sea bath salts that are probably more effective than epsom salts.
cheers,
Ralph
GeorgeN
January 10, 2011 02:47AM
Hi Lisa,

In my part of the world, mag chloride is used as a deicer on the roads. It is considered corrosive to vehicles.

My suggestion would be to make a magnesium lotion, spray or wash to apply topically. This is more economical and avoids the septic and corrosion issues altogether. See < [www.enzymestuff.com]; for ideas. I'd just make a saturated solution of water and mag salt, sulfate or chloride and put it on my skin. The chloride might be more effective, though the sulfate in the epsom salts may have benefits, too. A supersaturated solution of magnesium chloride is known as "magnesium oil." It has an oily feel, but has no oil in it.

For more on mag chloride and my source - nigari - see:
<[www.afibbers.org]; Several years ago, I posted the results of my chem lab heavy metal analysis of the Mitoku brand nigari.

George
Erling
January 10, 2011 06:38AM
Lisa,

About Epsom salts possibly being corrosive: when our daughter was about 8 or 9 she came down with intolerably itchy chicken pox, everywhere (poor kid!). The only real relief was being up to her chin in warm water with Epsom salts. By the time she was well again the porcelain surface of the bathtub had lost its shine, no longer smooth to the touch. Maybe some small fraction of Epsom salts (MgSO4) in water becomes very dilute sulfuric acid (H2SO4)?

Erling

lisa s
January 10, 2011 08:20AM
Hey, all, thanks for the input.

I'm still very confused. I've looked all over the net, and the opinions are split. Some say they would never do it, and some say they have been using Epsom salts for years without any problem at all. This afternoon I checked the ph of E.S. in water and it measured 7.8, which is right where the water should be. The total alkalinity was 150 ppm, which is high-normal.

I guess the next step is to contact the manufacturer to see what they say about this specific issue.

I'm still curious about adding other forms of magnesium. If I were to dump a bunch of mag glycinate pills in, would my skin absorb the magnesium? Then the question would be how many per 100 gallons? Would it be too costly? My hot tub is only 150 gallons, and the water only needs to be changed quarterly.

All answers appreciated,

lisa

Erling
January 10, 2011 08:41AM
Lisa,

Seemingly excellent information re: Epsom salts and hot tubs at [www.poolspaforum.com]

Also, read many top researchers (and others) views on "intractable magnesium deficiency": [www.mgwater.com]

Erling

GeorgeN
January 10, 2011 08:43AM
Lisa,

Glycinate would be horribly expensive compared to epsom salts or mag chloride (as nigari).

To be repetitive, I suggest you make a saturated solution with either epsom salts or mag chloride and spread on your skin. Spread it on after you sit in the hot tub and just leave it on. It will avoid the the corrosion issue altogether. This does work and works well.

George
lisa s
January 11, 2011 02:01AM
George,

I like the idea of topical usage right after the hot tub use. That is probably when my skin is the most able to absorb (while my pores are open from the heat). Right after a shower would work, too.

Thanks,

lisa

lisa s
January 12, 2011 01:19AM
Ralph,

You were on the right track. I finally got a hold of the manufacturer, and, Wonder of Wonders, they recommend Nexa Dead Sea Salts. Their product lists these ingredients:
Magnesium: essential for cell metabolism.
Sodium ions: promote supple-feeling skin
Potassium: for muscles and nervous system
Other valuable trace elements

They assured me that this is safe, and actually preferable to traditional chemicals used in hot tubs, and wouldn't void the warranty. I ordered some, and after awhile, I will post to let you know how it's working out.

lisa

lisa s
January 22, 2011 12:03PM
Hey, all,

I received the shipment of Dead Sea Salt a few days ago. Drained and filled accordingly. It is much better on my skin than before. It's nowhere as drying. Unfortunately, it is still a chlorine based sanitizing system.

In my perusing of this subject, silver showed up. My hope is that there is a silver sanitizing product that is compatible with salt. Evidently, silver kills everything, according to many sources. In my opinion, if it is possible to do the magnesium and silver combo, it will be win-win.

I will continue to keep you posted, and hope that any of you out there who find any info along this line will let me know.

In the meantime, I will soak up as much magnesium as the water will let me :-)

lisa

Erling
January 26, 2011 03:48AM
Hi Lisa,

Is your hot-tub water fluoridated? I'm sure your aware of the current heavy focus on this subject -- if not, please visit and read the topic 'Book: The Fluoride Deception' and its links. Fluoride is a poison, and transdermal uptake into the bloodstream would be very efficient, I would think, due to it's small atomic size and high activity.

For fluoride's likely contribution to AF see the other BB.

Erling

lisa s
January 26, 2011 11:15AM
Erling,

I am on well water, so added fluoride isn't an issue, but I have never had the water tested for anything other than bacteria and such when the well was first dug. I suppose I should have it tested to see what chemical compounds it actually contains.

Is that something doable with a home test kit, or should be professionally done only?

lisa

p.s. if it turns out there is fluoride in the water, what's to be done?

January 27, 2011 01:56AM
Lisa - Then depending on how high the fluoride level is, I'd not want to be soaking in heated water containing a high level of fluoride as it would be quickly absorbed. Additionally, I'd not want to be drinking that water either. Undoubtedly, it's common to have minor amounts of fluoride in well water. I'm going to be calling my county water department to find out what's involve in a thorough testing of mineral content in my well water now that this topic has surfaced.

Jackie
lisa s
March 08, 2011 02:06PM
Hi, all

Just came in from a hot tub session, and realized I never reported back. It's been almost 2 months, and I'm loving it!

The Dead Sea salt system is much easier to maintain than the system before. I've been able to maintain water clarity with much less chlorine, and ph levels without anywhere near as much chemical interference.

As an added bonus, my bowel tolerance of mg has gone up. I'm assuming this is because my cells have more mg in them, and therefore my gut is able to absorb more :-)

Six months ago I was having episodes one-two times a week, at which time, I cut my BB dose by more than half. After that, it became once a month, whether I needed it or not. My last episode was 2 weeks before the switch, so the trend is in the correct direction.

I've been busy, so I still haven't pursued the silver sanitization as I wanted, so if anyone else has, that would be welcome information.

lisa

January 29, 2012 06:19PM
I'm wondering about sodium, now.

Is sodium absorbed easily through the skin like magnesium? What about potassium?

Thanks in advance,

lisa

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login